Wilson Methodist Chapel - Lowry Crossing
This church was deeded on Sept. 5, 1894 by
A. E. and Bertie Wilson as a site for the
Methodist Episcopal Church South. The first
trustees were H. C. Rutledge, H. C. Bridgefarmer
and A. L. Reneau. It still retains the original
bell in the bell tower.
The last living deacon and one of the first
groundskeepers was Samuel H. Smith
(1883-1975). Bertha M. Thomas (1913-2006)
was the last living member.
In the early 1900's the chapel was serviced by
deacons who rode a circuit including Princeton
& Bethel. Circuit riding ministers were Rev.
W. R. Gouldelock, Rev. J. D. Cunningham, J. E.
Short, L. A. Hanson, Rev. H. H. Bain, J. A. Bell,
C. F. McKinney, J. R. Jordan, and M. L. Dickey.
Claus H. Rohlfs was the church's last preacher.
He served in the early 1950's.
Some of the prominent family names in the
early church were Lowry, Bridgefarmer,
Rutledge, Reneau, Scalf, Smith and Myrick. The
chapel and the adjacent cemetery are all that
remains of the early Wilson Community.