Nevada Baptist Church
NEVADA BAPTIST CHURCH
BAPTIST WORSHIP SERVICES WERE HELD IN THE NEVADA
AREA BEFORE THE 1880S. IN 1882, THE MT. PLEASANT BAPTIST
CHURCH DIVIDED ITS MEMBERSHIP TO FORM A NEW CON-
GREGATION KNOWN AS PLEASANT HILL. IN 1890, UNDER THE
LEADERSHIP OF THE REV. M. M. WOLFE, THIRTY-FIVE MEMBERS
OF THE PLEASANT HILL CHURCH ORGANIZED THE NEVADA
BAPTIST CHURCH. WOLFE SERVED AS THE CONGREGATION'S
MEMBERSHIP DURING THE CHURCH'S FIRST YEAR TOTALED
EIGHTY PERSONS. THE FIRST CHURCH BUILDING WAS COM-
PLETED IN 1891 AND SERVED UNTIL A BRICK STRUCTURE
WAS ERECTED IN 1919-20. ALTHOUGH THE SANCTUARY WAS
DAMAGED IN NEVADA'S DESTRUCTIVE 1927 TORNADO, IT PRO-
VIDED SHELTER FOR AN EMERGENCY HOSPITAL AND MORGUE
DURING THE CRISIS.
OVER THE YEARS, NEVADA BAPTIST CHURCH HAS PLAYED AN
IMPORTANT AND VITAL ROLE IN THIS SMALL, SOUTHEASTERN
COLLIN COUNTY TOWN. WITH ITS EMPHASIS ON MISSION
WORK AND COMMUNITY SERVICE, THE CONGREGATION HAS
PRODUCED SEVERAL MISSIONARIES FROM AMONG ITS MEM-
BERSHIP. THROUGHOUT ITS HISTORY, IT HAS CONTINUED TO
UPHOLD THE IDEALS AND TRADITIONS OF ITS FOUNDERS
Texas Historical marker, 1985.
All of the 40+ windows in this church building are stained glass, including the ones in the basement. In the early days of electricity, this insured that the building's interior was always well lit.
Based on the architecture of this building, the architects were probably C. W. Bulger and Sons of Dallas. He was noted for building over 100 Baptist churches in Texas from about 1900-1922. He was also the architect for Westminster College in Collin County.