MRS. GABE LUCAS HONORED ON HER 80TH BIRTHDAY
McKinney Weekly Democrat, July 22, 1937
Mrs. Gabe Lucas celebrated her 80th birthday Sunday, July 11, at her home 210 South Bradley Street. Mrs. Lucas is the mother of eleven children, ten of whom are living. Seven of her children were with her on this happy birthday occasion. The three who could not attend were Mrs Catherine Mahan of Mt. Ave, Iowa; Mrs. J. B. Wright of Abilene and Urban Lucas of Ennis.
The day was happily spent by the honoree, her children and grandchildren. Mrs. Lucas is in splendid health for her advanced years.
Those present with her Sunday were Mr. and Mrs. F. W. Allen, Mrs. Raymond Wilkerson and daughter, Nancy Jane, Mrs. C. F. Reeves, all of Ennis; Gabe Allen of Dallas; Mr. and Mrs. Joe Connor and children, Joe Jr., and Nancy Sue of Fort Worth; Henry and Peggy Jane Lucas of Texarkana; Mr. and Mrs. W. C. Thurman and son, Charles, Mr. and Mrs. Sy Lucas and daughter, Gladys, Tully B. Lucas, Mrs. J. B. Hammack, all of McKinney.
Mr. and Ms. Gabe Lucas, Jr. came over for the week-end but had to return home early Sunday morning due to illness of their son, G. B. They will return this week-end for a visit and take their two children home with them. Mrs. Lucas and Mrs. Hammock will also return to Texarkana with them for a months’ visit.
Peter F. Lucas was one of the early settlers of this community. His log cabin was three-fourths of a mile north-east of the present Lucas stores. He and his family lived there in mid-1850. His son, Gabriel H. Lucas and his wife, Nancy Wetsel Lucas, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Wetsel, were the parents of eleven children, three of whom now live in McKinney: Mrs. J. B. Hammock, Mrs. Walker Thurman and Tulley B. Lucas. Prior to Peter Lucas death in Oct. 1868 (According to his granddaughter, Mrs. Thurman) the area was to be granted a post office. Peter Lucas sent in the name "Lucas" to honor his son, Gabriel or Gabe, as he was called.
Another early settler, Joe McKinney, sent in the name "St. Jo", but the post office Dept. of Washington selected the name "Lucas." According to General Services Administration, Washington, D. C. a post office was established May 11, 1888 and discontinued Sept. 30, 1903.