Stony Point Baptist Church - Melissa
STONY POINT CHURCH AND CEMETERY
IN THE 1870s AND 1880s THE PIONEER SETTLEMENT OF
STONY POINT WAS A THRIVING AGRICULTURAL COMMUNITY
WITH A COTTON GIN, GENERAL STORE, GRISTMILL, MOLASSES
MILL AND SCHOOL. ON AUG. 17, 1878, AREA RESIDENTS FORMED
THE STONY POINT BAPTIST CHURCH. FIVE YEARS LATER A. J.
SCRIBNER AND R. N. COFFEY DONATED LAND TO THE CHURCH
WHICH NOW COMPRISES PART OF THE BURIAL GROUND. IN
1887 J. C. AND ELIZABETH PRICE DEEDED PROPERTY FOR THE
FIRST SANCTUARY. DESTROYED BY LIGHTNING IN 1926, IT WAS
REPLACED BY A SMALLER STRUCTURE DEDICATED IN 1938.
THE EARLIEST GRAVE IN THE CEMETERY, THAT OF W. M.
WILSON'S INFANT SON WHO DIED IN 1880, PREDATES THE
CHURCH'S ACQUISITION OF THE SITE. OTHER GRAVES INCLUDE
THOSE OF PIONEER SETTLERS AND LEADERS OF THE CHURCH
AND COMMUNITY. IN 1938 CONTROL OF THE BURIAL SITE WAS
TRANSFERRED TO THE STONY POINT CEMETERY ASSOCIATION.
BY ORDAINING EARLY MINISTERS AND BY HELPING WITH THE
FORMATION OF CHURCHES IN THE NEARBY SETTLEMENTS OF
VERONA, ALTOGA, VALDASTA AND WHITE ROCK, STONY POINT
BAPTIST CHURCH HAD A DRAMATIC IMPACT ON THE REGION.
IT CONTINUED TO PLAY A VITAL ROLE UNTIL IT CLOSED IN
THE LATE 1950s AS A RESULT OF THE AREA'S DECLINING
POPULATION. THE SANCTUARY IS STILL USED FOR FUNERALS
AND FOR THE ANNUAL DECORATION DAY SERVICES.
Incised on back: IN MEMORY OF LELAND WILKES SCRIBNER
Texas Historical marker, 1982.
The community here was called Stony Point. In the 1870's and 80's Stony Point was a thriving community with a cotton gin, a general store, a molasses mill, a grist mill, a church and a school. The first school was called the Johnson School. The name "Chambliss" is also applies to the area. It was actually a little northeast of the church and cemetery.
The Stony Point Baptist Church of Christ was organized in 1878. Out of the Stony Point Baptist Church were started the Altoga Baptist Church, Valdasta Baptist Church and White Rock Baptist Church. I believe that all of these churches still exist. The Stony Point Church is no longer in use except for funerals or special occasions.
The Stony Point Baptist Church shares a historical marker with the Stony Point Cemetery.