LOVEJOY SCHOOL WAS CREATED IN
1917 BY THE CONSOLIDATION OF
FOREST GROVE AND LICK SPRINGS
SCHOOLS. IT WAS NAMED FOR MRS.
J. L. LOVEJOY (d. 1939), A LOCAL CLUB-
WOMAN WHO PROMOTED MANY
EDUCATIONAL CAUSES FOR THE
AREA. GRADES 1 THROUGH 9 WERE
TAUGHT HERE IN THE "LITTLE RED
SCHOOLHOUSE", WHICH WAS BUILT IN
1917 AND CONTAINED 4 CLASSROOMS.
LOVEJOY SCHOOL EXPERIENCED AN
INFLUX OF NEW STUDENTS INTO
ITS RURAL DISTRICT IN THE 1960s,
AND LATER EXPANDED ITS FACILITIES
TO ACCOMMODATE THE INCREASED
Texas Historical marker, 1983.
Lovejoy School presently serves two rural communities - Lucas and Fairview. Lovejoy Common School District No. 32 was established on July 2, 1917, consolidating two older schools - Forest Grove and Lick Springs. The consolidated district contained 10.39 square miles. About four acres of land upon which to build the school was purchased from the Fitzhugh family. Because Mrs. J. L. Lovejoy of McKinney showed an interest in the school and donated books to its library, the school board chose to name the school in her honor. In 1963 the Lucas school district consolidated with Lovejoy. For many years Lovejoy had only an elementary school that served the area east of Allen. Its students went to Allen for high school.
Since 2000 Lovejoy had built two additional elementary schools, a middle school and a high school.