THE MUNCEY MASSACRE
COLLIN COUNTY'S LAST FATAL INDIAN RAID
In the fall of 1843 Jeremiah Muncey and his family were massacred by Indians at their home in north Plano between Plano and Jupiter Roads on the south bank of Rowlett Creek. The Indians had camped upstream the night before. As they proceeded down Rowlett Creek, they came upon two boys hunting. The Rice boy was killed and the Searcy boy escaped. The Indians continued down the creek to the Muncey place. The Muncey home was a lean-to that they were using while they constructed their home. Jeremiah Muncey, his wife, a three-year-old child and neighbor McBain Jameson were all killed. Two of Muncey’s boys were taken by the Indians and never seen again. The site of the massacre is marked, as well as spot where the Munceys were buried.
Leonard Searcy and William Rice came to the Muncey hut. They found the brutally massacred bodies of Jameson, Muncey, Mrs. Muncey and their small child. Recognizing the obvious signs of an Indian raid, Searcy and Rice hurriedly left to find their own sons, who were hunting in the area.
Searcy's son was safe, but Rice's son had been massacred. The victims are buried at this site.
Although Indian raids continued well into the late 1800s, and were fought by Texas Rangers, the Muncey Massacre was the last Indian raid in Collin County.
The cross marker, which was donated by Wm. Stephen Chambless, M. D., in 1999, marks the burial site.
THE MUNCEY MASSACRE
(Homesite and graves about 1 mile East)
McBAIN JAMESON AND JEREMIAH
MUNCEY SETTLED IN THIS VICINITY
IN 1840 AND 1842. WHILE HUNTING
IN LATE 1844, WILLIAM RICE AND
LEONARD SEARCY CAME TO MUNCEYS
HUT AND FOUND THE SAVAGELY SLAIN
BODIES OF JAMESON, MUNCEY, MRS.
MUNCEY, AND A SMALL CHILD, AND
RECOGNIZED SIGNS OF AN INDIAN
RAID. THE MEN SPED OUT TO THEIR
OWN SONS, WHO WERE HUNTING
NEARBY. YOUNG SEARCY WAS FOUND
SAFE, BUT RICE HAD BEEN KILLED.
TWO MUNCEY BOYS DISAPPEARED,
NEVER TO BE FOUND. ANOTHER WAS
AT THROCKMORTON SETTLEMENT.
THAT WAS THE LAST TRAGIC INDIAN
RAID IN COLLIN COUNTY.
Texas Historical marker, 1974.
Marker moved from Hwy 5, just south of the Rowlett Creek bridge to the Spring Creek campus of Collin County Community College, 1998
HISTORICAL MARKER RELOCATED
TO THIS SITE IN 1998.
THE SITE OF THE MUNCEY HOME AND
GRAVES OF THE VICTIMS
ARE APPROXIMATELY ONE
MILE NORTHWEST OF THIS SITE.