Highland - north of Melissa
The community of Highland was established in the mid 1800's approximately 2 miles north of present-day Melissa. It was possibly the second oldest community in Collin County. A post office was established there in September of 1853. The old Cedar Springs-Bonham Road went through it. In the 1860 - 90 period, there was a school at Highland, which also served as a church. Around 1858, Charley H. Wysong donated land for the church and cemetery. A meeting house was built about 1860. It was used by the Methodists, Baptists, Christians, and Presbyterians. Besides the church/school, Highland was also a stage stop. C. H. Wysong had a blacksmith shop and Thad Parris had a corn and wheat mill, wool carding mill and a grist mill. After the railroad bypassed Highland and created the towns of Melissa and Anna, the churches and families moved to those communities. Anna Baptist Church and Melissa Baptist Church were created out of the Highland church. The post office was discontinued on May 16, 1873.