J. W. Kirby
J. Westley Kirby crossed the Red River on Dec. 4, 1845
Came to Collin County in 1845, Nov. 15 [sic] Settled at Forest Grove (Biography McKinney Democrat, April 1, 1918)
Wm. D. Kirby died at Forest Grove, Nov. 22, 1925. Came with his father in 1845.
Chas. and Agnes Kirby came to Millwood from Ill. in 1866. Thomas A. Kirby carried mail horseback from Millwood to McKinney and back in 1870. Got 5 cents a letter each way. Papers carried free. The person getting the letter paid the 5¢. (McKinney Democrat, January 20, 1938)
1871 J. W. Kirby on the jury that ordered Stephen Ballew hanged for murder of Golden.
John Westley Kirby built cabin at Forest Grove in 1845. He and Fitzhughs were first there. In 1847 he went often to Oak Cliff for Buffalo. A good place to find them.
John W. Kirby died June 20, 1901 (Biography June 27, 1901)
Salacial & Mary Coffey’s 2 daughters married John C. and Geo. Kerby,
KIRBY, J. W.
Weekly Democrat Gazette, June 20, 1901
As we go to press we learn of the sad and sudden death of J. W. (Uncle Wess) Kirby, aged 85 which occurred this morning at his home a few miles southeast of town. He had been nearly blind and in feeble health for some time but his demise came unexpectedly. He was a native of Virginia and came to Texas in 1844. He headrighted the land which was his homestead when he died. He married Miss Patsy Fitzhugh in 1835 who survives him. They celebrated their 64th anniversary with a big dinner last April. The surviving children are W. D., George and John C. Kirby, sons, and one daughter, Mrs. Ack Scott, all of whom live in the same community of Forest Grove. Uncle Wess was a staunch adherent of the Primitive Baptists and was honored and held in the highest esteem by every acquaintance. His burial will take place tomorrow morning in the Fitzhugh graveyard. Uncle Wess and Aunt Patsy were the oldest married couple in the county and among its earliest pioneers.