THE LAWSON FAMILY
Biography by Herman Lawson
The Lawson Family came to Texas from Cleveland, Tennessee around 1873. Jerry Lawson and Jim Moreland who married Mantooth sisters came first, then worked on the railroad enough to bring their families. The families rode a train to Anna, then went southeast to the present Altoga. This was before the first store at Altoga which was established about 1880.
Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Lawson had seven children–John, Evaline, Billy, Jim, Lizzie, Rowe, and Elmer. All of these children are now deceased. Sever grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc., still live in Collin county. Grandchildren who are still living include Mrs. Hattie Baxter, daughter of John; Mrs. C. N. Gerron, daughter of Evaline; Wilfred Lawson and Troy Lawson, sons of Billy; Royce Lawson, son of Rowe; and Walter Lawson and Reno Lawson, sons of Elmer. ....
RETURNS FROM TENNESSEE.
SECOND VISIT TO OLD HOME IN 41 YEARS
Jerry Lawson and wife, of this city, have returned from a month’s very pleasant visit to his old home at Cleveland, Bradley county, Tennessee. Mr. Lawson left there 41 years ago and this was his second visit back since. The previous visit was made 19 years ago. Mr. Lawson was a successful farmer of the Altoga community for many years, still owning a farm out there, but a year or so ago moved to McKinney where he owns a good, comfortable home and is passing his old age after a well earned rest. W. Mantooth of Altoga went to Tennessee with Mr. and Mrs. Lawson but returned home after a two weeks’ visit.