Community list McKinney Churches McKinney Area Cemeteries West McKinney Area Cemeteries McKinney Places McKinney Area Communities McKinney Area Houses Doty School McKinney Masonic Lodge
Grand Rail Road Barbecue
Dallas Herald, November 23, 1872
The grand Barbecue celebrating the advent of the Texas Central Railroad transpired at McKinney on the 21st inst, and was certainly a great success.
The ceremonies began about 11 AM at which time the Chairman of the Committee of arrangements introduced Gov. Jas. W. Throckmorton of Collin county. The Governor first, in behalf of the citizens of McKinney gave a welcome to all, proceeding in a speech of some three quarters of an hour replete with good sound reasoning and a wonderful degree of historical information as to the State he loves. He taught us new and increased reverence for the great State of Texas in a masterly expose of her wonderful resources, spoke of the grand results already achieved by the completion of the T. & C. R. R. and of those yet to come to us through the great Texas Pacific Railway.
The Governor was followed by Col. W. J. Hutchins of Houston, Vice President T. C. Railroad, who entertained the audience for a few minutes with a plain matter of fact talk about the road and the country. Next on the list came the old war-horse, Col. Ashbel Smith, in a rousing speech of some length, principally devoted to argument opposing the division of the State. Col. S. has lost none of the power which gave tone to the young Republic of Texas, thro' his official person at the court of St. James. Jolin T. Brady, of Houston, followed with a lively talk of some length, laudatory of North Texas and the building of the Texas Central, promising the assembled people to manufacture the product of this great wheat region, in the city of Houston. (If we don't cut you off at Dallas, Colonel--Ed.)
Judge Burford of Dallas and Colonel Easton of Grimes, closed with short speeches full of sense and merriment.
The promised provision for 10,000 persons was faithfully fulfilled. Everything in abundance and of the best quality.
The gentlemen of the committee, brother Bingham of the Enquirer, Gov. Throckmorton and mine hosts of the "Donnell" have our warmest thanks for courtesies.
Will have more to say of McKinney soon.
FOUNDED 1845 BY COLLIN McKINNEY, A SIGNER OF
THE TEXAS DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE.
IN CIVIL WAR, GEN. J. W. THROCKMORTON (LATER A
GOVERNOR OF TEXAS) ORGANIZED McKINNEY'S CO. K,
6TH TEXAS CAVALRY, AN OUTSTANDING CONFEDERATE
MANUFACTURING, TRADE AND HOSPITAL CENTER.
Texas Historical marker, 1963.
EARLY DAYS IN M'KINNEY
McKinney Daily Courier Gazette, 1903
Judge T. C. Goodner Relates Interesting Reminiscences.
THIRTY SEVEN YEARS AGO
McKinney Then a Village of Only 500 Inhabitants. List of Business Firms Then.
Today a Courier reporter in his rounds met up with Judge T. C. Goodner and finding him in a reminiscent mood, asked him about his recollections of early days in McKinney. Taking a fresh chew of tobacco the Judge said that thirty-seven years ago today, he arrived in McKinney after a six weeks journey over land, in a one horse wagon with a traveling companion, Henry Rutland, from near Nashville, Tennessee. The same journey has since been made by Judge Goodner in thirty hours - by rail. McKinney was then a village of less than five hundred people. Nearly all the business houses were then on the west side of the public square, not one on the south side, but two on the north side and only one little confectionary, kept by Uncle Frank Roemmele on the east side and no court house or other buildings on the square. Among the merchants here then were Murray & Boyd, Z. E. Ranney, H. A. McDonald, T. H. Emerson & Co, J. B. & David Stiff, Wm. M. Bagley on the west side; I. D. Newsome and A. L. Shirley on the north side; Frank Roeminele on the east side as stated above. Ed Cannon kept the City Hotel, lately torn down by Heard Bros. J. W. Throckmorton was the Governor of Texas. T. J. Brown now on the Supreme Bench, R. DeArmond, J. H. Jenkins, Joseph Bledsoe, Alexander Berry, Geo. T. Armstrong, Judge W.. H. Andrews and Judge R. L. Waddill composed the McKinney bar. Drs. B. M. E. Smith, G. A. Foote and G. W. Patterson were the physicians of the town.
The only sidewalk in the town was on the west side of the public square and the only manufacturing plant or mill of any kind was an old inclined wheel ox mill that stood on the Dallas road about ten blocks south of the square near the place where Ballew was hanged in 1872.
All of Short's addition, Petersburg, Russellville, College Hill, Fairfield were then in farms. From these facts it can readily be seen how McKinney has grown and developed from a village of 500 souls to a solid, up-to-date, beautiful city of 7000 inhabitants possessing more wealth in proportion to population than any city in the United States, outside of Galveston and Hartford.
Directions Using Telephone. (From the @ 1878 McKinney telephone directory)
McKinney Weekly Democrat Gazette, October 22, 1936
First -To call Central Office, ring bell and then place Phone to your ear immediately.
Second - As soon as the Operator speaks, say with whom you wish to be connected. If the party is not engaged Operator will connect you immediately. If engaged, will notify you.
Third - If party does not answer within a reasonable time hang Phone on hook and ring, remove Phone from hook at once, place to the ear and await reply.
Fourth - When through speaking hang Phone on hook and give one short *** ring for disconnection.
Fifth - When Phone rings remove Phone from hook place to ear and ***ask what is it?
Sixth - Telephone should remain on the hook when not in use, otherwise calls cannot be made.
Seventh - To hear distinctly press Phone to ear.
Eighth - The operators are in the Central Office to attend to the business of the office only. Do not call on or engage in conversation with them there as it may cause them to neglect their duty.
Ninth -The use of obscene or profane language over the wire is strictly prohibited.
McKinney Telephone Exchange.
W. H. Andrews - Dr. C. N. Abbott - Bank, Collin County National - Bank, First National - T. O. Bower, Ice and Beer
J. P. Burton, Gem Saloon - Board & Markham Dry Goods - Thos. E. Bomar, Black Waxy (newspaper) -,
W. L. Boyd, residence - City Drug Store - J. P. Crouch, Furniture Store - J. P. Crouch, residence -
G. W. Curtsinger Gro. - Col. R. DeArmond, residence - J. P. Dowell, Hardware store - Depot, H. & T. C. -
Depot, Mo. Pac. - A. L. Fairchild, residence - Fitzhugh & Boyd Livery Stable - Foote House -
D. Goodin, residence F. A. Gutgesell, restaurant Dr. J. E. Gibson, residence - J. S. & S. D. Heard, Groc -
Mac Hill & Boyd, Livery stable - F. M. Hill, residence - Harrison & Co., Cotton and Grain -
H. C. Herndon, drug store - H. C. Herndon, residence - J. L. Hill, grocery - Jenkins & Pearson, law office -
J. H. Jenkins, residence - John Johnson, Sr., residence - M. M. C. Jones, residence -
H. A. McDonald, hardware store - Thos H. Murray, residence - Mack & Mack, grocers -
Dr. H. M. Markham, residence - McAulay & McAulay, drug store - Dr. John McCarty, residence
Newsome & Rogers, grocery - J. P Nenney, lumber yard - I. D. Newsome, residence -
L. W. Oglesby, Co. Tax Coll. Office - Powell Bros, cotton and grain - Z. E. Ranney, union mills -
Jesse Shain, grocery - Jessy Shain, livery stable - J. N. Stauffer & Co, Far & M. Mill -
Dr. A. Sims, residence - Dr. T. W. Wiley, residence - J. W. Wilcox, lumber yard - W. U. Telegraph Office
Courthouse County Seat First National Bank J. W. Throckmorton Law Office McKinney Baptist Church
McKinney Christian Church McKinney Fire Department McKinney Hospital and Nursing School
McKinney Methodist Church 1911 McKinney Post Office McKinney Presbyterian Church
Old McKinney Cemetery Old Settlers Park Pecan Grove Cemetery Ross Cemetery St. Peters Episcopal Church
Texas American Bank Thompson Gin