Maxwell - Murphy
The community of Maxwell predates Murphy. It was located southeast of Murphy and was named for the Maxwell family that lived in the area. The Maxwell post office opened on March 21, 1884 with Ben P. McPherson as postmaster. It was discontinued on June 20, 1887. In 1887 when the St. Louis Southwestern Railroad, also known at the Cotton Belt, was extending its line from Plano eastward to Greenville, William Murphy gave the railroad company right-of-way through his property and promised to build a depot. Once the depot was built, the railroad named it Murphy and Maxwell disappeared.