W. T. Moore
Sudden Death of Dr. W. T. Moore
Weekly Democrat Gazette, November 12, 1914
Today McKinney is wrapt in gloom; the hearts of our people, and especially those of long residence are bleeding with sorrow at the death of a man whose residence in McKinney has been of long duration; whose life has been as an open book to this people, and upon whose life-record not a stain could be found He was universally loved by every man, woman and child in the city with whom he cam in contact; in church and lodge circles his counsel was repeatedly sought, and that counsel was always for good.
Dr. Moore’s Sudden Death.
At 8 o’clock Thursday night Dr. W. T. Moore’s life was suddenly snuffed out; heart failure being given as the cause. For about four years he had been in bad health. The first of this week he was able to come up town, and made a call on his old-time friend, Judge J. M. Pearson. He was cheerful, and seemingly none the worse off, as to his physic al condition. Thursday his condition was normal; his family and friends entertaining no thought of immediate death, when suddenly Thursday night death came and claimed his spirit. As stated, the news of his death came as a distinct shock to this people, and when announced in the room of the Odd Fellows’ lodge of which he was an honored member, a shadow of gloom fell upon the assembly.
Dr. William Terry Moore was born Nov. 17 1845, at Starkville, Octibbeha County, Miss. His parents were William Terry Moore and Mary Hudson Moore. When but a boy the family moved to Terry in Hines County, Miss., and was 15 years of age at the outbreak of the Civil War. He was then at Georgetown University, Washington, D. C. Just before this time the Prince of Wales, who afterwards became King Edward VII, of England, visited Washington City. President Buchanan appointed a guard of honor from the University boys to act as an escort to King George. William Terry Moore was one of that guard.
When Mississippi seceded from the Union, he left Washington with Senator Jefferson Davis, Mrs. Davis, and their infant daughter, Miss Winnie Davis, which young lady in late years became to be known as “The Daughter of the Confederacy.” He accompanied the family to Mississippi. On leaving Washington City the party embarked upon a boat to Alexandria, Va., passing through by rail, arriving at their home in Mississippi without mishap. While at Alexandria Va., young Moore bought a copy of an extra edition of a newspaper which stated that Se. Davis was prominently mentioned for President of the Confederacy. He showed it to Mr. Davis who had not heard of this before.
When war was declared between the States young William offered his services as a volunteer, but was rejected on account of his age and small stature, then but little past 15. Soon after, When Capt. W. W. Ratliff organized a company of cavalry he entered as a recruit, but as Capt. Ratliff’s troops were short of mounts and equipment the entire organization was mustered into service as Co. A, Mississippi Artillery, Ratliff’s Battalion, which saw service mainly in Mississippi. At Baker’s Creek, about 15 miles east of Vicksburg, Ratliff’s soldiers engaged in Federals in battle, and the artillery was highly complimented by the superior officers for its bravery. This was the heaviest and most terrific artillery duel which occurred in Mississippi during the war. The Confederates, however, were overpowered by superior numbers and were forced to retreat. He was in the battle before Vicksburg under Gen. Pemberton, who surrendered to Gen. Grant July 4, 1863. Later he was exchanged as a prisoner of war, and returned to his home in Terry. In war, as in peace, Dr. Moore lived an exemplary life. Two brothers, J. A. and J. T. Moore, were in Virginia with General Robert E. Lee.
After returning to his home at Terry young Moore re-enlisted, and served through the entire campaign.
After peace had been declared, he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and entered the Ohio College of Dental Surgery. He graduated in 1869, and came to Texas at once. Texas was then a semi-wilderness. There were no railroads worth mention, all travel being done by state coach or ox team express. He came to Jefferson, then a booming river town, at the head of steamboat navigation on Red River. Realizing that “Westward the Star of Empire leads the Way,” he came on through Sulphur Springs, Greenville, and on to McKinney, making the trip in a wagon. He had as companions on this trip W. D. Davis, known as “Gov.” Davis and his son, Sam Davis, Maj. Joe Brown, and a brother, Joe Moore. His brother, Joe Moore, preceded him here a short time. He settled three miles northeast of McKinney, and in 1870, or early in the fall of 1869 began the practice of dentistry in McKinney. His office was with the father of the Smith brothers, druggists, and he later had for his partner, Dr. Calhoun, long since dead. He was successful and acquired a competency of this world’s good.
Married Miss Throckmorton.
In 1872 Dr. Moore was married to Miss Jennie Throckmorton, daughter of the late and greatly beloved Gov. J. W. Throckmorton. As a result of this union two children were born, both dying in infancy.
December 14, 1875, Dr. Moore was married to Miss Catherine Elizabeth Keith, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. J. T. Keith, an old Mississippi family. To this union ten children were born, nine of whom are living. They are: William McCarty and James K. Moore, Dallas; Shaw, (died in Infancy); Mrs. W. E. Clary, Oklahoma City; Dr. T. F. Moore, Austin; William T. Moore, Jr., Dallas; Tom Moore, Fort Worth; Joe T. Moore, Llano, Texas; and Eugene and Lewis, both of whom reside in McKinney. Mrs. Moore passed away some years ago, thus leaving Dr. Moore’s home again bereft.
February 11, 1911, Dr. Moore was married to Mrs. Kate Postel, of Decatur, Alabama, who survives him.
Moves to Farm.
About thirty-five years ago, Dr. Moore moved to his farm near Rock Hill, this county, where he remained until 1889, coming back to this city to reside. In 1906 Dr. Moore was elected tax collector of Collin County, and served four years, or two terms; and left a good record behind him. He was alderman of McKinney for fourteen years, serving in this capacity during the administration of Judge J. M. Pearson, mayor, and was also a member of the school board for a like period, and for a time was president of the board. He was Commander of J. W. Throckmorton Camp, United Confederate Veterans, was colonel of the staff of General Van Zandt, Fort Worth, U. C. V. was president of the Collin County Ex-Confederates and Old Settlers’ Picnic Association for three or four years; and to his good management was due the success of the annual picnics given by that association.
Prominent Odd Fellow
Dr. Moore was prominent in lodge work, and was initiated as a member of Empire Lodge No. 68, I.O.O.F. February 22, 1890, about 24 years ago. He as Past Grand at the time of his death. He was a conscientious member of this lodge, and his daily life exemplified the basic principles of the order, “Friendship, Love, and Truth.”
Charter member of Baptist Church
Dr. Moore was one of thirteen to organize the First Baptist Church of McKinney. Mrs. Polly, whose death was chronicled in these columns last week, being associated with him in that work. His death marks the passing of the last charter member of the church in this city.
He was an energetic church worker and a consistent Christian. He was church clerk for about 44 years, and served on the board of deacons for about as long, and was superintendent of the Sunday School for a number of years.
Saturday at 2:30 o’clock p.m. the funeral service was held at the First Baptist Church, Dr. E. E. King officiating. He was buried under the auspices of Empire Lodge No. 68, I.O.O.F., the Sam J. Massie's Undertaking Co. in charge of the funeral arrangements.
The active pallbearers were, Capt. J. S. Dowell, J. P. Crouch, T. J. Cloyd, Mate Barnett, L., J. Truett and L. C. Clifton.
Mrs. W. T. Moore Dead
The End Came This Morning at One o'clock
Another Stroke Paralysis
The Funeral Will Take Place Sunday - Son From St. Louis to Arrive Saturday
Daily Courier Gazette, November 26, 1903
Mrs. Catherine Elizabeth Moore, wife of Dr. W. T. Moore, died this morning at 1 o'clock at the family residence on South Wilcox Street. About five months ago Mrs. Moore was stricken with paralysis and has been in an almost helpless condition since, though bright and cheerful. Last night she went into the supper table as usual and ate a hearty meal, and had returned to the family room and was sitting around the fireside with her husband and children.
About eight o'clock she was suddenly seized with a paralytic stroke and was tenderly borne to her bed and a physician summoned, but she was beyond human aid and the end approached rapidly and she sank calmly into the everlasting sleep, never regaining consciousness to bid her loved ones a last farewell. Her perfect Christian life affords them the sweet comfort and consolation that though her voice is hushed forever, that her spirit washed in the blood of the Lamb is hovering near, beckoning them on in the golden shores of the brighter and perfect world.
Mr. Moore, whose maiden name was Keith, being a daughter of Dr. T. F. Keith who served as a physician in the Confederacy hospital at Marshall, Texas, during the civil war, was born at Utica, Hines county, Miss. Dec. 14, 1857, and was therefore, 45 years 11 months and 6 days old.
She came to Texas in 1873 with her stepfather, Rev. J. A. Moore, a brother to her husband, and was married at his home known as the old Throckmorton homestead, three and a half miles northeast of McKinney, on her eighteenth birthday, Dec. 14, 1875, the ceremony being performed by Rev. T. J. sims, a brother of Dr. Sims, formerly of this city but now deceased. The union was blessed with then children, nine of whom are living as follows: McCarty, James K. of St. Louis, Mary, T. F., W. T. Jr., Joe T., Tom and Eugene (twins), and Lewis, the youngest, aged 6 years. Shaw, , another son, died at the age of two years, and is buried beside his grandmother Mrs. Catherine Parvin, at Bethel cemetery.
Mrs. Moore united with the Baptist church in Mississippi when only a girl of ten or twelve years of age, being baptized by Rev. T. J. Walne of Dallas. She was a true Christian, a devoted wife and mother, a true friend and a good neighbor in the fullest meaning of the words. She was loved by everyone. She had lived in McKinney since 1890 moving here with her husband and family from their farm near Rock Hill, where they resided for twelve years. Mrs. Moore has a half sister, Mrs. H. H. Cook whose home is in West Texas,, but she will not be able to reach here for the funeral.
Since early morning, Dr. Moore and family, have received a number of telegrams of sympathy and condolence from friends over the state and at their old home in Mississippi.
The funeral of Mrs. W. T. Moore, took place from the First Baptist church Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o’clock The house was filled with sorrowing friends. The Ladies Aid Society of the church attended the funeral in a body, and presented an elaborate floral offering in the shape of an anchor. Mrs. Moore met with the society at the regular weekly meeting on Tuesday before she died on Friday morning. A large number of beautiful floral offerings, were sent in, which were banked around the casket in the church, Mrs. E. E. King, the life long friend and schoolmate of Mrs. Moore, rendered Chopin’s funeral march on the pipe organ. The sermon which was very touching was delivered by Dr. E. E. King. He gave a brief sketch of Mrs. Moore’s life showing her many noble traits of character. One of the longest procession ever witnessed in McKinney followed the body to Pecan Grove cemetery, where it was laid in the tomb to await the morning of the resurrection.