Murphy First Baptist Church
MURPHY BAPTIST CHURCH
TO DEDICATE NEW CHURCH AT MURPHY
SERVICES TO LAST ALL DAY
New $5000 Baptist Church at Murphy to be dedicated Nov. 27
McKinney Daily Courier-Gazette
November 25, 1924
Thanksgiving Day will be an occasion of more than ordinary rejoicing to the members of the Baptist church at Murphy and to many of their friends, for on this day one of their long-cherished dreams will be realized in that they will dedicate to the service of God their new $5000 church house. They are planning to observe the day as a day of thanksgiving should be observed and as a day should be kept on which a new house is set apart to the service of God and humanity.
Religious services will last throughout the day and a sumptuous dinner will be spread in the church for all who come. The prayer of dedication will be offered by the Rev. J. Ben Snider of McKinney, pastor of the church. The sermon of dedication will be preached by the Rev. G. O. Key of McKinney. D. C. Dillehay will have charge of the music and song service of the day.
This church was organized August 19, 1900, and for nearly 24 years has been an increasing power for righteousness and good-will in Murphy and the regions roundabout, its benevolent influence extending throughout that whole section of the county. The people have been deeply gratified with the growth of the church and with the high order of moral and spiritual influence it has maintained throughout these years.
McKinney Man Pastor.
The Rev. J. Ben Snider has been pastor for the past eight years, and is greatly beloved by the people of that section of the county. J. B. Wright has been the honored superintendent of the Sunday School 24 years, during which time his absences from his post of duty have been very few. Mr. Wright is senior deacon of the church and has associated with him in the deaconate, J. T. Birgham, W. T. Massie, W. O. Daniel, D. C. Dillehay, Clark Turner, Sam Hogan. Aubrey Poindexter is clerk of the church; W. O. Daniel is its treasurer. D. C. Dillehay is director of music.
It has long been the custom of the Murphy church to take up a free-will offering for the orphans of the Buckner Home on Thanksgiving Day, and on this day of dedication and thanksgiving over the setting apart of their new and handsome building this worthy practice of remembering the orphans will not be neglected. Altogether the program of the day of Nov. 27 will be our long remembered by the people of Murphy as marking a distinct step forward in the usefulness of the Murphy Baptist church to the community and to the world.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
IN 1900, TWELVE YEARS AFTER THE
FOUNDING OF MURPHY, LOCAL RESIDENT
MRS. MAY COCKRELL DIRECTED THE
FORMATION OF THIS CONGREGATION.
AWARE OF THE NEED FOR A BAPTIST
CHURCH IN THE COMMUNITY, SHE
HOSTED THE ORGANIZATIONAL MEETING
IN HER HOME. PRESENT WERE MANY
OF HER FRIENDS, INCLUDING THE REV.
G. W. McCALL, A BAPTIST PREACHER
FROM PLANO, AND BOB COLEMAN OF
THE PLANO STAR-COURIER. THE SAME
YEAR MRS. LOUISA BROWN DONATED
LAND AT THIS SITE FOR CONSTRUCTION
OF THE SANCTUARY. SINCE 1900 THE
CONGREGATION HAS MADE MANY
SIGNIFICANT CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE
Texas Historical marker, 1981