Cotton Mill - McKinney
The McKinney cotton mill opened in 1910 southeast of downtown McKinney. It was 3 stories tall. The 1948 McKinney tornado caused major damage to the mill, destroying the third floor.
The McKinney Cotton Mill was renovated and expanded. By 1960, it had become the largest denim mill in the entire world, with 670 looms producing 300,000 yards of cloth weekly for Texas Textile Fabrics, using only locally-grown cotton.
The Mill closed its doors in 1969.
The Cotton Mill had its own community. The workers had their own clubs and band. The Cotton Mill district has been named a National Register of Historic Places Historic District. The District encompasses the mill and several surrounding streets. Only one of the Mill residential house remains in 2012.