Wylie School
Wylie School
FM 544 and Country Club Road
Wylie, Texas
The community of Wylie was created when the Gulf Colorado Santa Fe railroad came through the area in 1886 connecting Dallas and Paris and the St. Louis Southwestern (Cotton Belt) railroad came through connecting Fort Worth and Greenville around 1890. Col. W. D. Wylie promised great things if the community would be named for him.
The Common School District #63 existed for many years before Wylie was founded. It served Collin Dallas and Rockwall counties. Early schools in that district were Lee, Cottonbelt, Eureka, Kreymer, Lone Elm, and Skeeter Flat. These schools were Elementary only. The Nickelville high school was built around 1886. The Wylie School had elementary and high school.
When the Wylie district was formed in 1887, Rough and Ready, Morris and St. Paul also joined the district. At first the school met at the First Christian Church in Wylie. In 1889 Henry and Sallie Callaway gave 4 acres of land near present-day SH 78 and Birmingham Street and a two-story frame building was completed in 1891.
Wylie Independent School District was established by Thomas Franklin Birmingham and George Housewright in 1901-02. The Birmingham family provided money to build a proper high school. In 1902 a new three-story brick building with 8 classrooms and an auditorium was completed near the site of the old one. Th building was replaced around 1926 with a building referred to as “the old brick school house.”
In 1898 the teacher was J. H. Hill. By 1899 the Wylie Independent School District had 124 white students. Wylie is never shown to have had colored students. In 1901 School District #63 was named Wylie. It had 4 teachers: Marion McDonald; J. L Yarbrough; O. D. Conley; and B. J. Allen. There was also the Wylie Independent School District that year with W. J. Wilson as the principal and E. R. Burch, Miss Bessie Cloyd, Mrs. Bird Pace and Miss Pearl Bishop.
Wylie consisted of Common School District #63 and the Independent School District. and fed into the Wylie ISD for high school.
I. F. Brooks and Marion McDonald were the district #63 teachers in 1905. Chas. J. Denton was superintendent of the Wylie ISD with A. F. McDonald as the principal.
In 1907 Wylie ISD had 254 students and 272 in 1909. Wylie #63 had 145 students in 1912 and the ISD had 300 students.
In 1918 the County Superintendent of Schools said this about Wylie Independent School:
“The Wylie school has just about outgrown its house. They have an enrollment of 363. They have eight teachers and teach eleven grades. This school is doing some very fine work. We are informed that the board intend to enlarge the house for the next school. This school has a Red Cross enrollment of 227. They have two Red Crosses. The school has done considerable work in the Red Cross line and plans to have the War Garden The expect to do some considerable work in the “Thrift Campaign.” The school has sufficient apparatus for classification by the University in Class 2. They have several volumes in their Library. Supt. E. H. Watson is spending his first year in Collin as a teacher but we hope it will not be the last, although he wants to help lick the Kaiser. The other teachers are Mr. L. E. Weeden, Miss Ethel Burch, Miss Beatrice Flinn, Miss Abbay Baskett, Miss Fay Tillman, Kittie Billingsly and Marie O’Dawd.”
Wylie #63 had 195 scholastics in 1925 and the ISD had 306 students.
In 1939 Mr. and Mrs. T. F. Birmingham financed the first Home Economics and Industrial Arts Departments. In 1940 they gave 900 acres of land to be used by the school system. Wylie Common had 95 students in 1940 and the ISD had 278.
In 1947 the Birminghams gave land to be used by and for the newly organized F. F. A. In 1949 they gave a new brick high school, completely furnished.
School districts that were grouped into Wylie ISD in 1949 were Clifft, Morris, Sachse (Collin County portion) and Wylie Common Schools
FM 544 and Country Club Road
Wylie, Texas
The community of Wylie was created when the Gulf Colorado Santa Fe railroad came through the area in 1886 connecting Dallas and Paris and the St. Louis Southwestern (Cotton Belt) railroad came through connecting Fort Worth and Greenville around 1890. Col. W. D. Wylie promised great things if the community would be named for him.
The Common School District #63 existed for many years before Wylie was founded. It served Collin Dallas and Rockwall counties. Early schools in that district were Lee, Cottonbelt, Eureka, Kreymer, Lone Elm, and Skeeter Flat. These schools were Elementary only. The Nickelville high school was built around 1886. The Wylie School had elementary and high school.
When the Wylie district was formed in 1887, Rough and Ready, Morris and St. Paul also joined the district. At first the school met at the First Christian Church in Wylie. In 1889 Henry and Sallie Callaway gave 4 acres of land near present-day SH 78 and Birmingham Street and a two-story frame building was completed in 1891.
Wylie Independent School District was established by Thomas Franklin Birmingham and George Housewright in 1901-02. The Birmingham family provided money to build a proper high school. In 1902 a new three-story brick building with 8 classrooms and an auditorium was completed near the site of the old one. Th building was replaced around 1926 with a building referred to as “the old brick school house.”
In 1898 the teacher was J. H. Hill. By 1899 the Wylie Independent School District had 124 white students. Wylie is never shown to have had colored students. In 1901 School District #63 was named Wylie. It had 4 teachers: Marion McDonald; J. L Yarbrough; O. D. Conley; and B. J. Allen. There was also the Wylie Independent School District that year with W. J. Wilson as the principal and E. R. Burch, Miss Bessie Cloyd, Mrs. Bird Pace and Miss Pearl Bishop.
Wylie consisted of Common School District #63 and the Independent School District. and fed into the Wylie ISD for high school.
I. F. Brooks and Marion McDonald were the district #63 teachers in 1905. Chas. J. Denton was superintendent of the Wylie ISD with A. F. McDonald as the principal.
In 1907 Wylie ISD had 254 students and 272 in 1909. Wylie #63 had 145 students in 1912 and the ISD had 300 students.
In 1918 the County Superintendent of Schools said this about Wylie Independent School:
“The Wylie school has just about outgrown its house. They have an enrollment of 363. They have eight teachers and teach eleven grades. This school is doing some very fine work. We are informed that the board intend to enlarge the house for the next school. This school has a Red Cross enrollment of 227. They have two Red Crosses. The school has done considerable work in the Red Cross line and plans to have the War Garden The expect to do some considerable work in the “Thrift Campaign.” The school has sufficient apparatus for classification by the University in Class 2. They have several volumes in their Library. Supt. E. H. Watson is spending his first year in Collin as a teacher but we hope it will not be the last, although he wants to help lick the Kaiser. The other teachers are Mr. L. E. Weeden, Miss Ethel Burch, Miss Beatrice Flinn, Miss Abbay Baskett, Miss Fay Tillman, Kittie Billingsly and Marie O’Dawd.”
Wylie #63 had 195 scholastics in 1925 and the ISD had 306 students.
In 1939 Mr. and Mrs. T. F. Birmingham financed the first Home Economics and Industrial Arts Departments. In 1940 they gave 900 acres of land to be used by the school system. Wylie Common had 95 students in 1940 and the ISD had 278.
In 1947 the Birminghams gave land to be used by and for the newly organized F. F. A. In 1949 they gave a new brick high school, completely furnished.
School districts that were grouped into Wylie ISD in 1949 were Clifft, Morris, Sachse (Collin County portion) and Wylie Common Schools