Wooddale School
Wooddale School #5
FM 455 and White Rock Trail
Anna, Texas
Wooddale school house was located 3 ½ miles southeast of Anna or 5 miles east of Melissa. The community was said to be thickly settled community and one of the oldest in the county. This may be the same as the Scott School, which was started in 1861 on the T. M. Scott Farm. In 1880 the Butler District was #5. In 1898 Wooddale had 53 students with W. S. Wysong as the teacher.
Among the “old timers” yet living in 1903 were Uncle John Airhart and Esq. Jesse Coffey. Capt. T. M. Scott’s old homestead was located in this community. His big farm was conducted by his son, Ormsby Scott, whose farm was also in this community. H. H. Hoskins was a trustee in 1903.
Miss Allie Smith was the teacher at Wooddale in 1901 and 1905. Prof. M. J. Townsend was the teacher in 1902 and 1903. Chastity Barlow was the teacher in 1906. There were 34 students in 1903, 14 in 1906 and 44 students in 1908 and 1912. Prof. Bob Parris was teacher of the Wooddale school in 1915 and 1916.
In 1906 the trustees were M. W. McAnnally, Y. H. S. Powell and W. T. Nichols. In 1916 the school term closed with a ball game; Chambliss played Wooddale. The score was 11 to 8 in favor of Wooddale. Mr. Bob Parris of near Melissa was the teacher and both pupils and patrons were pleased with the school. At least 75 were present at the ball game. Wooddale was going to play Chambliss next.
The Wooddale School District #5 closed around 1918 when it consolidated with the Chambliss and Rhymer schools to create the White Rock school district. White Rock High school was located one and one-half miles north of Chambliss.
FM 455 and White Rock Trail
Anna, Texas
Wooddale school house was located 3 ½ miles southeast of Anna or 5 miles east of Melissa. The community was said to be thickly settled community and one of the oldest in the county. This may be the same as the Scott School, which was started in 1861 on the T. M. Scott Farm. In 1880 the Butler District was #5. In 1898 Wooddale had 53 students with W. S. Wysong as the teacher.
Among the “old timers” yet living in 1903 were Uncle John Airhart and Esq. Jesse Coffey. Capt. T. M. Scott’s old homestead was located in this community. His big farm was conducted by his son, Ormsby Scott, whose farm was also in this community. H. H. Hoskins was a trustee in 1903.
Miss Allie Smith was the teacher at Wooddale in 1901 and 1905. Prof. M. J. Townsend was the teacher in 1902 and 1903. Chastity Barlow was the teacher in 1906. There were 34 students in 1903, 14 in 1906 and 44 students in 1908 and 1912. Prof. Bob Parris was teacher of the Wooddale school in 1915 and 1916.
In 1906 the trustees were M. W. McAnnally, Y. H. S. Powell and W. T. Nichols. In 1916 the school term closed with a ball game; Chambliss played Wooddale. The score was 11 to 8 in favor of Wooddale. Mr. Bob Parris of near Melissa was the teacher and both pupils and patrons were pleased with the school. At least 75 were present at the ball game. Wooddale was going to play Chambliss next.
The Wooddale School District #5 closed around 1918 when it consolidated with the Chambliss and Rhymer schools to create the White Rock school district. White Rock High school was located one and one-half miles north of Chambliss.