Willow Springs School
Willow Springs School #64
Estelle Lane and Gold Dust Trail
Lucas, Texas
Willow Springs School took its name from the willow trees that grew along the creeks in the area. The school was established in 1874 at present-day Estelle Lane and Gold Dust Trail.
Willow Springs School was included on a list of county schools in 1880. It was said to be one of the most united and enterprising communities in the county. The teacher was J. W. Baker, who had taught there for 3 or 4 years.
In 1884 Willow Springs became a public school and the name was officially changed to Lucas Public School. The school was included on an 1890 list of Collin County schools. Even though the name was changed to Lucas, it was still listed as Willow Springs School in the newspapers into the 1920s.
Because of flooding and mud from the area creeks, the school was moved about ½ mile southwest to higher ground on West Lucas Road in 1905. In 1912 the building was torn down and a larger two-story building was constructed. The Lucas School remained a central part of the Lucas community for many years.
There were 104 students enrolled in the school in 1890 and 88 students in 1912. In 1901 James McDonald was the teacher, and it was recorded Eli Hogue once taught at the school. J. A. Lee taught at the school in 1905. Teachers in 1912 were Miss Allie Perkins and Miss Lena Bishop. Miss Bishop taught in 1913 also.
The Lucas School closed in May 1914 with an old-fashioned basket picnic. Misses Allie Perkins and Lena Bishop were the teachers, this being their third term. Miss Corsia Hudson was the music teacher.
In 1915 Mr. C. I. Wolfard of McKinney was elected as principal of Lucas school, and Miss Morrow of Princeton was Primary teacher 1915. In 1918 the school had successful term of seven months.
In 1918 the County Superintendent of Schools said this about the Lucas (Willow Springs) School:
“Some few years past the good people of this community decided to build a new school house. They got to work and in a short time had by private donation secured enough money to build a comfortable two-room house and began to have better schools. This better improved condition created a desire for still greater improvements and during the past year this district increased the tax to the limit and voted a $2000.00 bond issue and have made the old building meet the State requirements and have added one other room and have purchased all equipment necessary to meet the requirements and will receive help from the State. The Mother’s Club of the school have given them a pig which the children will care for and on the last day of school it is to be sold and the proceeds to be added to the library. I hope other clubs will not let this one get too far ahead. The people are wide awake and will in the future as is has to the past continue to give to our county some of the best citizens. The teachers are Mr. L. L. Fritz, Miss Cloda McFall and Miss Pauline Newsom.”
In 1938 the victory of the Lucas girls’ quintet over the McKinney Class B girls caused much enthusiasm at the local general store. Lucas had a three-teacher school. Prof. James Pearce was principal; Miss Grace Adams and Miss Clara Holbrook, assistants. The enrollment was forty-six pupils. Prof. Pearce and Miss Adams were the coaches.
The School Board in 1938 was composed of E. Eustace Graham, Chairman; R. S. Parr and Hobart McCollom. Lucas boasted a lively P. T. A. with Mrs. Henry Millian President; Mrs. H. M. McCollom, Vice-President; Mrs. Roy Biggs, Secretary; Miss Grace Adams, Treasurer; Mrs. E. E. Graham, Press Reporter. There were 64 students in 1940
In 1963, the school population dropped in both Lucas and Lovejoy, and citizens decided to consolidate the schools. Since the Lovejoy School building was in better condition, students from Lucas went to the Lovejoy School, which was a 1-9 school. High school students went to Allen or McKinney for high school. The Lucas School served as a community center until 1970 when the building burned.
After residents rejected merging the Lovejoy district with Allen, in 2006 the Lovejoy district called a bond election to build a new middle school and high school with the goal of becoming a full K-12 district. The class of 2010 was the first high school graduating class in the history of Lovejoy Independent School District. By 2020 the Lovejoy School District had expanded to include 3 elementary schools, an intermediate school, a middle school and a high school. There was also a Daep (Disciplinary Alternative Education Program) school.
Estelle Lane and Gold Dust Trail
Lucas, Texas
Willow Springs School took its name from the willow trees that grew along the creeks in the area. The school was established in 1874 at present-day Estelle Lane and Gold Dust Trail.
Willow Springs School was included on a list of county schools in 1880. It was said to be one of the most united and enterprising communities in the county. The teacher was J. W. Baker, who had taught there for 3 or 4 years.
In 1884 Willow Springs became a public school and the name was officially changed to Lucas Public School. The school was included on an 1890 list of Collin County schools. Even though the name was changed to Lucas, it was still listed as Willow Springs School in the newspapers into the 1920s.
Because of flooding and mud from the area creeks, the school was moved about ½ mile southwest to higher ground on West Lucas Road in 1905. In 1912 the building was torn down and a larger two-story building was constructed. The Lucas School remained a central part of the Lucas community for many years.
There were 104 students enrolled in the school in 1890 and 88 students in 1912. In 1901 James McDonald was the teacher, and it was recorded Eli Hogue once taught at the school. J. A. Lee taught at the school in 1905. Teachers in 1912 were Miss Allie Perkins and Miss Lena Bishop. Miss Bishop taught in 1913 also.
The Lucas School closed in May 1914 with an old-fashioned basket picnic. Misses Allie Perkins and Lena Bishop were the teachers, this being their third term. Miss Corsia Hudson was the music teacher.
In 1915 Mr. C. I. Wolfard of McKinney was elected as principal of Lucas school, and Miss Morrow of Princeton was Primary teacher 1915. In 1918 the school had successful term of seven months.
In 1918 the County Superintendent of Schools said this about the Lucas (Willow Springs) School:
“Some few years past the good people of this community decided to build a new school house. They got to work and in a short time had by private donation secured enough money to build a comfortable two-room house and began to have better schools. This better improved condition created a desire for still greater improvements and during the past year this district increased the tax to the limit and voted a $2000.00 bond issue and have made the old building meet the State requirements and have added one other room and have purchased all equipment necessary to meet the requirements and will receive help from the State. The Mother’s Club of the school have given them a pig which the children will care for and on the last day of school it is to be sold and the proceeds to be added to the library. I hope other clubs will not let this one get too far ahead. The people are wide awake and will in the future as is has to the past continue to give to our county some of the best citizens. The teachers are Mr. L. L. Fritz, Miss Cloda McFall and Miss Pauline Newsom.”
In 1938 the victory of the Lucas girls’ quintet over the McKinney Class B girls caused much enthusiasm at the local general store. Lucas had a three-teacher school. Prof. James Pearce was principal; Miss Grace Adams and Miss Clara Holbrook, assistants. The enrollment was forty-six pupils. Prof. Pearce and Miss Adams were the coaches.
The School Board in 1938 was composed of E. Eustace Graham, Chairman; R. S. Parr and Hobart McCollom. Lucas boasted a lively P. T. A. with Mrs. Henry Millian President; Mrs. H. M. McCollom, Vice-President; Mrs. Roy Biggs, Secretary; Miss Grace Adams, Treasurer; Mrs. E. E. Graham, Press Reporter. There were 64 students in 1940
In 1963, the school population dropped in both Lucas and Lovejoy, and citizens decided to consolidate the schools. Since the Lovejoy School building was in better condition, students from Lucas went to the Lovejoy School, which was a 1-9 school. High school students went to Allen or McKinney for high school. The Lucas School served as a community center until 1970 when the building burned.
After residents rejected merging the Lovejoy district with Allen, in 2006 the Lovejoy district called a bond election to build a new middle school and high school with the goal of becoming a full K-12 district. The class of 2010 was the first high school graduating class in the history of Lovejoy Independent School District. By 2020 the Lovejoy School District had expanded to include 3 elementary schools, an intermediate school, a middle school and a high school. There was also a Daep (Disciplinary Alternative Education Program) school.