White's Grove School
White’s Grove School #21
Collin McKinney Parkway
McKinney, Texas
In 1877 George White (1820-1886) --a Peters Colonist, large landowner, and the first court-appointed county surveyor-- gave 1¼ acres in the E. D. McCoy survey (No. 577) to the Collin County judge and his successors for a public school. It was located a mile west of present-day US-75, just north of the Sam Rayburn Tollway and east of Hardin Blvd. It was known as the White’s Grove School for its benefactor. The surrounding rural area became known as the White’s Grove community.
Margaret Ferguson (1853-1941), who lived on a farm next to George White’s, was an early teacher in the one-room school prior to her marriage to White in 1882. Other early teachers and principals were Cynthia Hannon, Janie Coffey, T. C. Andrews, Prof. Miller, Etta Quisenberry, Prof. T.M. Wilson, Allie Perkins, Prof. S.F. Langley, Anna and Eva Stiff, J. B. Warren and Prof. J. W. Edmonds. In later years Ada Clark and Joyce Weakes each served as principal, and Margaret Duckworth and Pauline Slater were teachers. Mrs. Clodie Resse was the teacher in 1946-47.
In the first few years, the schoolhouse also served as a place of worship for the Methodists and Baptists who alternated services once a month. It was customary for the young people to attend each other’s Sunday School classes with the Methodists meeting in the morning and the Baptists meeting in the afternoon. In 1882 the Mt. Olivet Baptist Church was founded nearby. In 1890 White’s widow formalized her husband’s gift and deeded the Trustees of the White’s Grove Methodist Church a little over 3 acres. By 1891 the church had its own building. Even so, the two congregations continued the practice of worshipping at each other’s services for many years.
The White’s Grove School served the community for over 60 years. In 1890 the school had 78 students; in 1904 there were 85 students and in 1912 there were 81. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported in 1940 that 35 pupils from the school near McKinney “made an educational visit…inspecting a packing house, grain elevator, broadcasting station…” and the newspaper’s plant. A few years later the school closed as rural schools throughout the county became consolidated into larger school districts.
Collin McKinney Parkway
McKinney, Texas
In 1877 George White (1820-1886) --a Peters Colonist, large landowner, and the first court-appointed county surveyor-- gave 1¼ acres in the E. D. McCoy survey (No. 577) to the Collin County judge and his successors for a public school. It was located a mile west of present-day US-75, just north of the Sam Rayburn Tollway and east of Hardin Blvd. It was known as the White’s Grove School for its benefactor. The surrounding rural area became known as the White’s Grove community.
Margaret Ferguson (1853-1941), who lived on a farm next to George White’s, was an early teacher in the one-room school prior to her marriage to White in 1882. Other early teachers and principals were Cynthia Hannon, Janie Coffey, T. C. Andrews, Prof. Miller, Etta Quisenberry, Prof. T.M. Wilson, Allie Perkins, Prof. S.F. Langley, Anna and Eva Stiff, J. B. Warren and Prof. J. W. Edmonds. In later years Ada Clark and Joyce Weakes each served as principal, and Margaret Duckworth and Pauline Slater were teachers. Mrs. Clodie Resse was the teacher in 1946-47.
In the first few years, the schoolhouse also served as a place of worship for the Methodists and Baptists who alternated services once a month. It was customary for the young people to attend each other’s Sunday School classes with the Methodists meeting in the morning and the Baptists meeting in the afternoon. In 1882 the Mt. Olivet Baptist Church was founded nearby. In 1890 White’s widow formalized her husband’s gift and deeded the Trustees of the White’s Grove Methodist Church a little over 3 acres. By 1891 the church had its own building. Even so, the two congregations continued the practice of worshipping at each other’s services for many years.
The White’s Grove School served the community for over 60 years. In 1890 the school had 78 students; in 1904 there were 85 students and in 1912 there were 81. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported in 1940 that 35 pupils from the school near McKinney “made an educational visit…inspecting a packing house, grain elevator, broadcasting station…” and the newspaper’s plant. A few years later the school closed as rural schools throughout the county became consolidated into larger school districts.