Wetsel School
Wetsel School #30
Stacy Road at SH 5
Allen, Texas
“Many remember Wetsel School that was at the intersection of State Highway 5 and Stacy Road, and that corner has long had the name of Wetsel. Lucy Jane Phillips Epps told of an earlier school. “1860, went to school where the present Wetsel School House is. A Mr. Mills taught this school; there were several different teachers here from 1855 to 1860. Had a slate this time, benches with no backs and no desks. There was one long plank on one side where we would go and learn to write, and write on slate where teacher set the copy. Sometimes a fellow would come along and teach nothing by a writing school, and we would go to it. I was one of the best spellers in the school.” Between the Creeks, p 143.
“In 1883, James Wetsel and his wife, Sarah Jane, deeded the half acre in the corner of his father’s headright to the county and the trustees of the Wetsel School community for a token one dollar. Later a teacherage for the teacher’s family was built. C. C. Martin was teaching at Wetsel when his daughter, Evelyn Martin Shipman, was born in the teacherage. Donnie Watson Barksdale from Lick Springs, now of Allen, also taught a Wetsel.
The Wetsel Home Demonstration Club built a canning kitchen in the schoolyard. There was a school known as Wetsel School at the crossroads for over 90 years. The east-west road was officially known as the Wetsel School House to Fitzhugh Mills Roads, but it was generally known as the Wetsel Road.”
May 13, 1888 - Wetsel School House, No. 30, C. C. D. [Collin County Democracy] club met according to appointment, and elected D. B. Davis, President, and M. Beck as Secretary.
There were 60 Students at the Wetsel School in 1890. In 1925 the school had 57 students.
Teachers at Wetsel School included Miss Ida ___in 1896; T. O. Murray in 1897; M. H. Brown in 1899; Warren Macy in 1901; T. J. Simpson in 1905; Prof. T. M. Wilson, principal, and assistant, Miss Culwell, in 1907; and Prof. Beasly, assisted by Miss Rena Culwell, in 1908. In 1912 the school had 76 students.
The Collin County School Superintendent school reviewed the school in 1918.
“Wetsel No. 30: J. M. Rickerson and Mrs. G. T. Miller are the teachers at Wetsel. They have enrolled 52 and have a good attendance, 85 percent of the children belong to the Red Cross. Several of the children belong to the different club organizations. Some considerable talk of increasing the tax and putting up a new school building. It is very badly needed.”
WETSEL JOTTINGS AS WRITTEN BY OUR SCRIBE 1938 Thrifty Farming Center Located on Highway 75 Between McKinney and Allen
“The Wetsel School is a modern building on a pretty campus with plenty of playground equipment for the children. During the term recently closed, Miss Lonnie Mae Hight and Miss Juanita Moore were the teachers. The former has been teaching at Wetsel for five years, while the latter has just completed her first year’s term of school at this place. Miss Juanita is a daughter of W. M. Moore, a worthy farmer, living on his place, four or five miles southeast of McKinney. Her father is a brother of Sheriff E. B. Moore of this county. The Wetsel School Board is composed of G. W. Compton, Bart Bryant and Will Bush. It is our information that the Wetsel School is not encumbered with debt and has some money in its treasury.”
Although the Wetsel School was only a few miles north of Allen, its students went to McKinney for high school. In 1940 Wetsel had 40 students. In the 1950s the Wetsel School District consolidated with the Allen School District.
Stacy Road at SH 5
Allen, Texas
“Many remember Wetsel School that was at the intersection of State Highway 5 and Stacy Road, and that corner has long had the name of Wetsel. Lucy Jane Phillips Epps told of an earlier school. “1860, went to school where the present Wetsel School House is. A Mr. Mills taught this school; there were several different teachers here from 1855 to 1860. Had a slate this time, benches with no backs and no desks. There was one long plank on one side where we would go and learn to write, and write on slate where teacher set the copy. Sometimes a fellow would come along and teach nothing by a writing school, and we would go to it. I was one of the best spellers in the school.” Between the Creeks, p 143.
“In 1883, James Wetsel and his wife, Sarah Jane, deeded the half acre in the corner of his father’s headright to the county and the trustees of the Wetsel School community for a token one dollar. Later a teacherage for the teacher’s family was built. C. C. Martin was teaching at Wetsel when his daughter, Evelyn Martin Shipman, was born in the teacherage. Donnie Watson Barksdale from Lick Springs, now of Allen, also taught a Wetsel.
The Wetsel Home Demonstration Club built a canning kitchen in the schoolyard. There was a school known as Wetsel School at the crossroads for over 90 years. The east-west road was officially known as the Wetsel School House to Fitzhugh Mills Roads, but it was generally known as the Wetsel Road.”
May 13, 1888 - Wetsel School House, No. 30, C. C. D. [Collin County Democracy] club met according to appointment, and elected D. B. Davis, President, and M. Beck as Secretary.
There were 60 Students at the Wetsel School in 1890. In 1925 the school had 57 students.
Teachers at Wetsel School included Miss Ida ___in 1896; T. O. Murray in 1897; M. H. Brown in 1899; Warren Macy in 1901; T. J. Simpson in 1905; Prof. T. M. Wilson, principal, and assistant, Miss Culwell, in 1907; and Prof. Beasly, assisted by Miss Rena Culwell, in 1908. In 1912 the school had 76 students.
The Collin County School Superintendent school reviewed the school in 1918.
“Wetsel No. 30: J. M. Rickerson and Mrs. G. T. Miller are the teachers at Wetsel. They have enrolled 52 and have a good attendance, 85 percent of the children belong to the Red Cross. Several of the children belong to the different club organizations. Some considerable talk of increasing the tax and putting up a new school building. It is very badly needed.”
WETSEL JOTTINGS AS WRITTEN BY OUR SCRIBE 1938 Thrifty Farming Center Located on Highway 75 Between McKinney and Allen
“The Wetsel School is a modern building on a pretty campus with plenty of playground equipment for the children. During the term recently closed, Miss Lonnie Mae Hight and Miss Juanita Moore were the teachers. The former has been teaching at Wetsel for five years, while the latter has just completed her first year’s term of school at this place. Miss Juanita is a daughter of W. M. Moore, a worthy farmer, living on his place, four or five miles southeast of McKinney. Her father is a brother of Sheriff E. B. Moore of this county. The Wetsel School Board is composed of G. W. Compton, Bart Bryant and Will Bush. It is our information that the Wetsel School is not encumbered with debt and has some money in its treasury.”
Although the Wetsel School was only a few miles north of Allen, its students went to McKinney for high school. In 1940 Wetsel had 40 students. In the 1950s the Wetsel School District consolidated with the Allen School District.