Westminster School
Westminster School #108
Broadway Avenue
Westminster, Texas
At the turn of the twentieth century Seven Points was a thriving community with an increasing population. A free school had been established in 1887.
In 1888 the Methodist church built a college and called it Seven Points College. In 1890 Seven Points School district #108 had 100 students. About 1895 the name of the college was changed to Westminster and the local community and school district changed their names to Westminster.
By 1901 three schools were listed for Westminster School district #108. The teachers were C. O. Stubbs, C. E. Ross, and Miss Ellie Coffey. The Westminster school arranged for a San Jacinto picnic in 1903. They gave an interesting program and invited the people of the vicinity to be present. County Superintendent Hill made a short address.
Up until 1905 the Westminster public school and the denominational school were taught in the same building. They were separated when area people objected to religious work being taught in connection with the public school. The teachers were Chas. Thompson, S. A. Rosser, and Miss Blanche Coffey.
In 1909 Westminster School had 105 male and 79 female students for a total of 184. There were 136 students in 1912 and 218 students in 1925.
In 1914 the Graybill and Westminster school districts were consolidated. Westminster and Gray Bill held an election and voted $10,000 worth of bonds for the erection of a new school house. Eight town lots were bought from W. A. Pace for the campus and site and a new red-brick public school building erected.
In 1918 the County Superintendent of Schools said this about Westminster Independent:
“The Westminster Independent school district has a two-story brick building. They have six class rooms and auditorium. They have lately added the necessary equipment for receiving the State aid and have been recommended for the limit. They have a fine campus and an extra fine location. This school is a credit to this progressive community. The teachers are J. W. Moulton, Mat Anderson, Miss Maude Giles, Miss Monta Crawford, Miss Maggie Duckworth, and Miss Grace Ford. This school is doing some good Red Cross work and we are expecting them to do their part in the Thrift campaign.”
Around 1939 this building was torn down and the materials were used to construct a new building.
Broadway Avenue
Westminster, Texas
At the turn of the twentieth century Seven Points was a thriving community with an increasing population. A free school had been established in 1887.
In 1888 the Methodist church built a college and called it Seven Points College. In 1890 Seven Points School district #108 had 100 students. About 1895 the name of the college was changed to Westminster and the local community and school district changed their names to Westminster.
By 1901 three schools were listed for Westminster School district #108. The teachers were C. O. Stubbs, C. E. Ross, and Miss Ellie Coffey. The Westminster school arranged for a San Jacinto picnic in 1903. They gave an interesting program and invited the people of the vicinity to be present. County Superintendent Hill made a short address.
Up until 1905 the Westminster public school and the denominational school were taught in the same building. They were separated when area people objected to religious work being taught in connection with the public school. The teachers were Chas. Thompson, S. A. Rosser, and Miss Blanche Coffey.
In 1909 Westminster School had 105 male and 79 female students for a total of 184. There were 136 students in 1912 and 218 students in 1925.
In 1914 the Graybill and Westminster school districts were consolidated. Westminster and Gray Bill held an election and voted $10,000 worth of bonds for the erection of a new school house. Eight town lots were bought from W. A. Pace for the campus and site and a new red-brick public school building erected.
In 1918 the County Superintendent of Schools said this about Westminster Independent:
“The Westminster Independent school district has a two-story brick building. They have six class rooms and auditorium. They have lately added the necessary equipment for receiving the State aid and have been recommended for the limit. They have a fine campus and an extra fine location. This school is a credit to this progressive community. The teachers are J. W. Moulton, Mat Anderson, Miss Maude Giles, Miss Monta Crawford, Miss Maggie Duckworth, and Miss Grace Ford. This school is doing some good Red Cross work and we are expecting them to do their part in the Thrift campaign.”
Around 1939 this building was torn down and the materials were used to construct a new building.
Westminster School #108
East Houston Street
Westminster, Texas
Around 1939 the current Westminster school building was torn down and the material was used on a new school structure.
In August of 1940 pupils attended school for the first time in a new white brick school house with modern construction. Work was completed on the structure through the WPA project at a cost of $52,500. The building was dedicated and presented to the Westminster school by state WPA officials.
The new school building was 139 feet long and 114 feet wide. It had eight classrooms, a book room, superintendent’s office, library, reception room and an auditorium 65 by 31 feet, with a seating capacity of approximately 350. Nine grades were taught there by a faculty of seven members.
The Westminster school faculty in 1940 was as follows: James H. Davis, superintendent and mathematics teacher; W. R. London, principal, history and science; Mrs. W. R. London, primary; Mrs. Ethel Davis second grade; Miss Alma George, third and fourth; Frank Hammett, fifth and sixth; Mrs. Phoebe Isbell, Spanish and English.
In 1944 the Westminster Public School opened on September 25th with the faculty was as follows: Albert M. Sprinkle, superintendent, Mrs. Lena Brown, Miss Shirley Geer, Mrs. Alma Ramsey, Miss Gladys Murphee, Mrs. Ethel, Davis, Mrs. Hazel West.
Bus drivers were: Mr. Jeff John Johnson, Mr. Grady Geer. Cooks for the hot lunch room were: Mrs. J. D. Brown, Mrs. Laura Price.
All members of the faculty had taught in the Westminster school and were already well favorably known except Mr. Sprinkle, who was elected and began his duties as Superintendent in July.
School Districts that were grouped with Westminster ISD in 1949 were Routh and Independence (Sedalia).
Westminster High School was one of the last (if not the last) Texas school to field an eight-man football team. The team competed with parochial schools. It won the state championship during the 1983 season.
The Texas Education Agency removed accreditation from the Westminster school in 1988. Threatened with loss of the school, Westminster residents rallied to support it. They painted the school, added new siding, rebuilt the roof, added sidewalks and installed wheelchair ramps and voted to raise taxes. It was not enough. In 1989 residents voted to close the school and send its 140 students to Anna schools.
The town of Westminster could not survive the loss of the school district. The population and commerce declined rapidly. In early 2004, state agencies agreed to relinquish their financial claims on the city of Westminster, provided that it disincorporate. The residents of Westminster voted to abolish their town charter on May 7, 2005. The disincorporation of the city of Westminster was only the eleventh such occurrence in Texas since 1975.
East Houston Street
Westminster, Texas
Around 1939 the current Westminster school building was torn down and the material was used on a new school structure.
In August of 1940 pupils attended school for the first time in a new white brick school house with modern construction. Work was completed on the structure through the WPA project at a cost of $52,500. The building was dedicated and presented to the Westminster school by state WPA officials.
The new school building was 139 feet long and 114 feet wide. It had eight classrooms, a book room, superintendent’s office, library, reception room and an auditorium 65 by 31 feet, with a seating capacity of approximately 350. Nine grades were taught there by a faculty of seven members.
The Westminster school faculty in 1940 was as follows: James H. Davis, superintendent and mathematics teacher; W. R. London, principal, history and science; Mrs. W. R. London, primary; Mrs. Ethel Davis second grade; Miss Alma George, third and fourth; Frank Hammett, fifth and sixth; Mrs. Phoebe Isbell, Spanish and English.
In 1944 the Westminster Public School opened on September 25th with the faculty was as follows: Albert M. Sprinkle, superintendent, Mrs. Lena Brown, Miss Shirley Geer, Mrs. Alma Ramsey, Miss Gladys Murphee, Mrs. Ethel, Davis, Mrs. Hazel West.
Bus drivers were: Mr. Jeff John Johnson, Mr. Grady Geer. Cooks for the hot lunch room were: Mrs. J. D. Brown, Mrs. Laura Price.
All members of the faculty had taught in the Westminster school and were already well favorably known except Mr. Sprinkle, who was elected and began his duties as Superintendent in July.
School Districts that were grouped with Westminster ISD in 1949 were Routh and Independence (Sedalia).
Westminster High School was one of the last (if not the last) Texas school to field an eight-man football team. The team competed with parochial schools. It won the state championship during the 1983 season.
The Texas Education Agency removed accreditation from the Westminster school in 1988. Threatened with loss of the school, Westminster residents rallied to support it. They painted the school, added new siding, rebuilt the roof, added sidewalks and installed wheelchair ramps and voted to raise taxes. It was not enough. In 1989 residents voted to close the school and send its 140 students to Anna schools.
The town of Westminster could not survive the loss of the school district. The population and commerce declined rapidly. In early 2004, state agencies agreed to relinquish their financial claims on the city of Westminster, provided that it disincorporate. The residents of Westminster voted to abolish their town charter on May 7, 2005. The disincorporation of the city of Westminster was only the eleventh such occurrence in Texas since 1975.