Viney Grove School #2
Viney Grove School No. 2 #68
CR 464
Princeton, Texas
There were two Viney Grove School districts in Collin County. Viney Grove School No. 1 was located northeast of New Hope and served the early community of Ardath. It was often called the Wilson School.
About 5 miles to the southeast was Viney Grove School No. 2. It was northwest of Princeton and was the smaller of the 2 school districts. It was started about 1890.
On the morning of the 7th of March, 1893 in the Viney Grove No. 2 community there was a gathering of friends and relatives at the residence of Mr. R. D. Thompkins, in honor of the writer’s birthday. The appearance of such an event was first impressed on our minds by the coming of the school children, each one with some little token of remembrance for the teacher. It seemed to the teacher and children who were confined in the school room that dinner time would never come.
An ice scream and box supper will be given, Wednesday night Oct. 11, 1899 at Viney Grove school house No. 2, 8 miles east of McKinney. Their schoolhouse burned last February and the district had built a new one which had thrown it in debt some and the proceeds were applied towards lifting this encumbrance. A general invitation was extended the public. Miss Hautie Huey was teacher of the school.
In 1890 Elm Grove was listed as district #68. In 1901 Viney Grove No. 2 was district #68. The teacher was J. O. Johnson. Prof. W. S. Ownsby was the teacher in 1903 and 1904 and W. J. Anderson in 1905. Gertrude Rollins was an assistant teacher at Viney Grove No. 2 in January 1910. There were 54 students in 1912 and 56 students in 1925. The school had 34 students in 1940.
Several people of the Ardath community attended the box supper at Viney Grove No. 2 on October 23, 1909
Viney Grove No. 2 closed with good program in 1913. A very successful and well-disciplined term of school closed at Viney Grove No. 2 on May 3, with a picnic. At the noon hour a nice dinner was spread and, in the afternoon, a splendid program was rendered by pupils.
There had been during the 1912-1913 term of school over sixty enrolled and a splendid regular attendance. Miss Hallie Powers of Princeton had been teaching for the past three years.
The Superintendent of Collin County Schools said in 1918:
“Viney Grove has a new house meeting the requirements. They have received aid before and will receive it again this year. Their enrollment is 51 and the attendance has been good. All the schools receiving aid more than one time are required to have full equipment and the full fifty cent tax. The teachers are Miss Zelma Lewis and Miss May Vermillion.”
Viney Grove No. 2 had a modern school building in 1938, erected a few years earlier for a three-teacher school. Its citizenship believed in good schools, good roads, good neighbors and friends. It was a typical law-observing and law-abiding citizenship-just the kind that a person likes to find and live in and rear his family.
CR 464
Princeton, Texas
There were two Viney Grove School districts in Collin County. Viney Grove School No. 1 was located northeast of New Hope and served the early community of Ardath. It was often called the Wilson School.
About 5 miles to the southeast was Viney Grove School No. 2. It was northwest of Princeton and was the smaller of the 2 school districts. It was started about 1890.
On the morning of the 7th of March, 1893 in the Viney Grove No. 2 community there was a gathering of friends and relatives at the residence of Mr. R. D. Thompkins, in honor of the writer’s birthday. The appearance of such an event was first impressed on our minds by the coming of the school children, each one with some little token of remembrance for the teacher. It seemed to the teacher and children who were confined in the school room that dinner time would never come.
An ice scream and box supper will be given, Wednesday night Oct. 11, 1899 at Viney Grove school house No. 2, 8 miles east of McKinney. Their schoolhouse burned last February and the district had built a new one which had thrown it in debt some and the proceeds were applied towards lifting this encumbrance. A general invitation was extended the public. Miss Hautie Huey was teacher of the school.
In 1890 Elm Grove was listed as district #68. In 1901 Viney Grove No. 2 was district #68. The teacher was J. O. Johnson. Prof. W. S. Ownsby was the teacher in 1903 and 1904 and W. J. Anderson in 1905. Gertrude Rollins was an assistant teacher at Viney Grove No. 2 in January 1910. There were 54 students in 1912 and 56 students in 1925. The school had 34 students in 1940.
Several people of the Ardath community attended the box supper at Viney Grove No. 2 on October 23, 1909
Viney Grove No. 2 closed with good program in 1913. A very successful and well-disciplined term of school closed at Viney Grove No. 2 on May 3, with a picnic. At the noon hour a nice dinner was spread and, in the afternoon, a splendid program was rendered by pupils.
There had been during the 1912-1913 term of school over sixty enrolled and a splendid regular attendance. Miss Hallie Powers of Princeton had been teaching for the past three years.
The Superintendent of Collin County Schools said in 1918:
“Viney Grove has a new house meeting the requirements. They have received aid before and will receive it again this year. Their enrollment is 51 and the attendance has been good. All the schools receiving aid more than one time are required to have full equipment and the full fifty cent tax. The teachers are Miss Zelma Lewis and Miss May Vermillion.”
Viney Grove No. 2 had a modern school building in 1938, erected a few years earlier for a three-teacher school. Its citizenship believed in good schools, good roads, good neighbors and friends. It was a typical law-observing and law-abiding citizenship-just the kind that a person likes to find and live in and rear his family.